Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
|Soft butter||2 Ounce|
|Grated parmesan cheese||4 Ounce|
|Bacon rashers||8 , cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Double cream||6 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a bowl, cream the soft butter by beating it against the sides of the bowl with a wooden spoon until it is soft and fluffy. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks with a fork until they are well blended, then stir in half of the grated cheese. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a bubbling boil, drop the spaghetti into the boiling water and stir it for a moment or two with a wooden spoon to be sure the strands do not stick to one another or to the bottom of the pot.
4. Cook the spaghetti over a high heat, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 12 minutes, until it is tender.
5. In a frying pan, fry the pieces of bacon over a moderate heat until they are crisp. Pour off about half the bacon fat and stir into the pan the optional red pepper and then the cream. Bring the cream to simmering point and keep it warm until the spaghetti is done.
6. In a large colander, drain the spaghetti, lifting the strands with two forks to make certain all the water drains off.
7. Into heated serving bowl, transfer the spaghetti and stir in the creamed butter, tossing and turning the spaghetti with two forks to coat every strand.
8. Add in the bacon and cream mixture and finally the beaten eggs and cheese, mixing everything together thoroughly.
9. Season with salt and a few grindings of pepper.
10. Serve the carbonara at once, the rest of the grated cheese being handed round at the table.