Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Peppers
|Spaghetti squash||3 Pound (1 large)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 , thinly sliced|
|Cherry tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Bell peppers||2 , core and seeds removed and sliced in thin strips (yellow, red or orange)|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Pinch|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (e.g., sauvignon blanc)|
|Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and then place it flesh side down on a lightly oiled baking tray.
3. Roast the squash in the oven until you can easily pierce the shell, about 30 to 35 minutes.
4. While the squash roasts, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno (if using) and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. Reduce the heat to medium / low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the cherry tomatoes are soft, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to press them open and release their juices. (Careful – they squirt!)
6. Add the white wine to the vegetables and raise the heat to medium. Cook until the wine has mostly evaporated. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired. Stir in the fresh basil and set aside until ready to serve.
7. When the squash is soft, remove from oven. Use a fork and scrape the squash crosswise to pull strands from the skin. Portion the squash onto serving plates and top with the tomato / pepper mixture. Serve hot.
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 0.65 g3.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 95 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 24.7% Vitamin C 110%
Calcium 9% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet