A Rich Meat Sauce For Spaghetti
|Streaky bacon rashers||2|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Pigs kidney||1 Small|
|Beef mince||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Stock||1⁄2 Pint (150 To 300 Milliliter)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Pinch|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Whole-wheat flour/Corn flour||2 Teaspoon|
1. On a meat board, use a sharp meat knife to slice the rind of the bacon. Dice the bacon into small uniform pieces. Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
2. Wash and clean kidney. Chop the kidney into small dices. Transfer to a plate or bowl and keep aside.
3. On a vegetable board, use a paring knife to peel and finely chop the onion. Crush the garlic with the flat surface of the knife blade.
4. Use a vegetable grater to grate the carrot into a bowl. You can grate the in a food processor as well.
5. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over a medium flame.
6. When the oil is hot, add the chopped bacon and sauté until crisp and brown.
7. To the bacon, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add the chopped kidney to the pan sauté for 5 minutes.
9. When meat is browned, add grated carrot.
10. Stir in the tomato puree and stock.
11. Add herbs and seasonings to the pan and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
12. Reduce the flame to low, cover the pan and allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the sauce is sticking to the pan, add a little more stock or water.
13. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring salted water to a boil on high flame.
14. Add the spaghetti and boil until al dente. The spaghetti should be firm but not under cooked. Drain spaghetti in a colander, reserving ½ cup of the starch water.
15. Combine flour and spaghetti water to make a slurry
16. Thicken the prepared sauce with the flour slurry and simmer, stirring continuously until thick.
17. Dish out spaghetti into 4 large pasta plates or soup plates.
18. Top the spaghetti generously with the prepared sauce
19. Grind some fresh pepper over the pasta if desired.
Calories 386 Calories from Fat 245
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.1%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g43.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.7 mg15.9%
Sodium 339.8 mg14.2%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g2.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.9%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 28 g55.1%
Vitamin A 51.5% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 2% Iron 4.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet