Sweet and Sour Soybeans
|Soybeans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, cut into 1-inch squares|
|Carrots||2 Large, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Green pepper||1 , cut into 1-inch squares|
|Pineapple chunks||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 Small, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Sweet and sour sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As Required)|
|Hot rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. To prepare the beans soak them in water overnight or quick-soak.
2. Drain reserving the liquid and discard loose skins.
3. In a 3-quart saucepan combine beans and liquid and add enough water to cover beans.
4. With cover simmer 3 hours until beans are tender, adding water as needed.
5. Drain reserving liquid for sauce and set beans aside.
6. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat and add onion, carrots, and garlic.
7. Stir-fry about 3 minutes until carrots are crisp-tender.
8. Add green pepper, stir-fry 1 minute and add pineapple, tomatoes and beans.
9. Pour Sweet and Sour Sauce over and continue cooking about 2 minutes until sauce boils and vegetables are coated.
10. Serve over hot rice.
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.7%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 103.5 mg4.3%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.6%
Sugars 25.4 g
Protein 21 g42%
Vitamin A 130.9% Vitamin C 87.6%
Calcium 17.2% Iron 42.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet