Empanadas are delicious stuffed Latin-style pastries. This empanada is made with chorizo and black beans.
10 Medium (1 package)
2 Medium (6-inch, casings removed)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped
15 Ounce, canned, drained and rinsed (1 can (15 oz) organic)
1) In a saute pan, add oil and begin rendering the chorizo sausages. Saute for about 10 minutes stirring often to fully cook sausage. If Chorizo was fully cooked in package, reduce cooking time to 5 minutes.
2) Stir in the red onion, cilantro, and black beans. Stir occasionally and cook for about 2 minutes.
3) Turn off the heat and mash the mixture together forming the filling for the Empanadas.
4) Lay out an Empanada wrap and add a heaping tablespoon of the filling (careful not too over stuff) and press down on filling slightly. Fold the wrap over in half to make a football shape. Press around edges with your fingers to seal, and then use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges.
5) In a dry, non-stick skillet, cook a few minute per side until slightly brown and crispy. Alternately cook then in a convection oven or fry them.
6) Top the Black Bean & Chorizo Empanadas with Cumin & Cilantro Crema and serve.