1. Rinse the chicken under cold running water and dry
2. Bread each piece, 1 at a time, by dusting with flour, dipping in egg and coating with bread crumbs. Shake to coat evenly.
3. Place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. To prepare the waffle batter, into a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. In a clean bowl, beat the eggs. Add the butter and buttermilk and beat to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix well.
5. Heat enough vegetable oil to come about 1-inch up the sides of a large, deep cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degree F
7. Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease.
8. Carefully add the chicken to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown.
9. Remove to a baking sheet and transfer to the preheated oven and bake until the meat is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
10. To make the salsa, mix all the fruit in a large bowl. Add the mint and toss well. Add lime juice just before serving and toss.
11. Pour the waffle batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown and lightly crisp. Prepare more waffle using batter.
12. Remove waffle and pile onto a plate, top with the chicken salsa and maple butter.
A great Southern dish, home-style cooking, a comfort food with a gourmet twist. This is like a breakfast/dinner kind of dish for breakfast in bed extravaganza or a fun and easy summer meal An unbeatable sweet-and-savory combo.