|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped (2 Large Ones)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Chili powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Leaf oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Canned whole tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can, Undrained)|
|Canned green chili peppers||4 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Tortilla chips||8 Ounce (1 Bag, Unsalted)|
|Green onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced (1 Bunch)|
|Black olives||6 Ounce, drained and pitted (1 Cup)|
|Mild cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Monterey jack cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
1) Take a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet and heat oil in it. Saute onions in it for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 1 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
2) Crumble beef inside the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until beef turns brown at the bottom.
3) Stir and cook for 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and onion mixture. .
4) Stir in sugar, chili powder, oregano, cumin, pepper, salt and cinnamon. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5) Add green chili peppers and tomatoes with their liquid. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place the prepared mixture in a bowl and set aside.
6) Preheat oven to 400° F. With a paper towel, clean the skillet.
7) At the bottom of the skillet, place half the tortilla chips in an even layer. Spoon out about half the meat sauce over it. Sprinkle green onions and olives, keeping aside 6. Sprinkle Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese. Press with a spatula to compress a little. Add remaining chips and press again. Pour the remaining sauce over the chips and sprinkle the remaining cheese.
8) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until completely hot and bubbly.
9) With the help of a pot holder, remove skillet from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
10) Garnish with avocado, lime, additional green onion and reserved olives, if desired.