Venezuelan Pabellón Criollo with Shrimp and Scallops
|For the rice:|
|Long grain white rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), washed|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For the beans:|
|Black beans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), soaked|
|Ripe plantain||1 Large, cut into bias|
|Shrimp||8 Medium, deveined (Tails left on)|
|Sea scallops||8 Medium, cleaned|
|Lime juice||1⁄2 Small|
|Cotija cheese||1 Ounce, crumbled|
|Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the sofrito:|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green bell peppers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red bell peppers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne peper||1 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|For the avocado sauce:|
|Lime juice||1 Medium|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Large|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a pot of boiling water simmer the black beans and add garlic powder for 45mins.
2) In another pot add the garlic powder, bay leaves and cumin powder with the rice and stir. Add the water and boil for 15- 20mins.
3) For the avocado sauce add water cilantro, garlic and lime juice with avocado, salt and olive oil and blend the ingredients until smooth.
3) Heat oil in a pan and add all the vegetables and after cooking for 12mins add salt and granulated garlic, cayenne pepper and cumin and stir.
4) Marinate the seafood with lime and salt, pepper for a few minutes.
5) Place the marinated seafood in the pan with the vegetables.
7) In a serving dish place the rice in the center topped with the seafood, beans and fried plantain.
Best enjoyed with avocado sauce on the side.
Calories 1283 Calories from Fat 521
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.5%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 86.6 mg28.9%
Sodium 409.2 mg17%
Total Carbohydrates 144 g48.1%
Dietary Fiber 28.3 g113.1%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 48 g95.9%
Vitamin A 65.2% Vitamin C 104.5%
Calcium 27.4% Iron 63.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet