Asparagus soup is the soup made of asparagus, which is a spring vegetable native to most European, northern African and western Asian countries. It is prepared from young shoots of the asparagus plant, and is an extremely nutritious dish. It is made with cooked and pureed asparagus mixed with butter, flour and seasonings.
Asparagus Soup Recipe Overview
The following is a basic recipe for the soup, variations to which can be done as per individual taste-
Ingredients: Ingredients required include asparagus, butter, flour, salt and pepper.
Method of Preparation: To prepare the soup, asparagus is chopped and boiled in water till it gets tender, after which it is drained and pureed by means of a blender. The cooking liquids obtained from boiling the asparagus are mixed in this, along with butter, salt, pepper and flour. The mixture is heated well, and more water is added as per requirement. The soup keeps well for up to 2 days if kept in the refrigerator.
Asparagus Soup Recipe Variations
The recipe for this soup can be adjusted as per individual taste. Additional seasoning ingredients like garlic, thyme, marjoram leaves, sliced prosciutto, etc are also used for preparing the soup. Chicken broth, potatoes, milk or cream are added as per some recipes.
Cream of asparagus soup recipe suggests the addition of white sauce to the soup, which is made with butter, white flour, salt, pepper and milk.
Serving Asparagus Soup
The soup is served in the initial course as an appetizer. It is garnished with sliced prosciutto and/ or pieces of cooked asparagus before serving.
Health Benefits of Asparagus Soup
Asparagus has been revered for its cleansing and healing properties by medicinal science since centuries.
Here are some of the health benefits of consuming soup made of asparagus-
• The soup has low calorie and low sodium content.
• It is a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium, zinc. It is also rich in protein, dietary fiber, vitamin A, C , E and K, as well as riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, rutin, iron, phosphorus, folic acid, copper, selenium, manganese and potassium.
• It is also a good source of chromium, which is a trace mineral that increases the ability of insulin to transport blood glucose to body cells.
• It is also rich in an amino acid called asparagines, which gets its name from asparagus.
• The folate content of the soup is beneficial for pregnant women as it prevents risk of birth defects.
• The fiber content of asparagus soup helps in restoring healthy digestion and acts as a laxative for people suffering from constipation.
Nutritional Information Related to Asparagus Soup Recipe
A single serving of the soup contains approximately 174 calories, 20mg cholesterol, 3g fat, of which 1g is saturated fat, 15g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 818mg sodium, 5g fiber and 378mg potassium.
Asparagus soup supplies 50% of the daily value of vitamin C, 30% daily value of iron, 25% daily value of vitamin A and 22% daily value of folate.