Four Lentil Soup Boiling Part 1
|Green gram||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Split Green Gram)|
|Red lentil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Red Lentil)|
|Val dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Chora dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Juice of lemon||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon (Paste Would Be Better)|
|Shredded garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Mustard seeds/Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Jaggery/1 tablespoon sugar||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (Added To Lentil Mixture)|
Cooking the lentils:
1. Sift through all the lentils and remove any stones.
2. Combine all the lentils in a bowl and wash with warm water.
3. Transfer the lentils into a pot, and add about 7-8 cups of water, and the salt.
4. Boil on medium heat for about 45min to 1 hour. All the lentils should break apart. If it still seems like some of the lentils are whole, just run a hand blender through the mixture. You do not want to make it over smooth though; you want the mixture to maintain some texture.
5. The consistency of the lentil mixture should be soup-like. If you find it is too thick, just add some hot water until it reaches the right consistency.
Making the tomato gravy:
1. In a small pot heat 1-2 tsp of oil.
2. Once the oil has heated, add the mustard seeds.
3. Once the mustard seeds start to pop, add the turmeric and the asafoetida powder.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, jaggery, ginger, chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix all the ingredients together and allow the gravy to simmer until the tomatoes melt and the consistency is somewhat paste-like.
1. Add the tomato gravy into the lentil mixture.
2. Add lemon juice and optionally add some shredded garlic.
3. Stir the mixture and allow it to simmer on low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
Garnish with some cilantro.
For more information please visit:http://thursdayfordinner.com