Red Lentil Soup
|Red lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Quick oats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, dice|
|Yam||1 Medium, dice|
|Leeks||2 Small, dice|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Bay leaves||3 Medium|
|Ground coriander seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable broth||2 Tablespoon, powdered|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Peel and cut the carrots, leeks and garnet yam in dices, keep it aside in separate bowl.
2. Peel and mince the garlic.
3. Dilute 2 tablespoon of powdered vegetable broth into 6 cups of water and keep it aside.
4. In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the leeks, carrots and yams.
5. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Add the garlic, coriander and salt, stir and cook for another minute.
7. Add the lentils, oats, bay leaves and broth.
8. First bring it to a boil and the reduce heat and cover the pot with the lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until all ingredients have been cooked.
9. Once done remove from heat, strain the bay leaves out and blend the content to a puree like consistency using a hand blender.
10. Once you have reached the desired consistency place the pot back on the stove and heat the soup before serving.
11. Serve the red lentil soup along with a crusty bread.
You can substitute the powdered vegetable broth to a vegan broth cube.
Hand blender or a regular blender
Calories 347 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.6%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 165.7 mg6.9%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44.2%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 11 g21.7%
Vitamin A 150.9% Vitamin C 48%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 27.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet