Chat 'n Dish: Provencal Tomato Rice Soup
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon, mince|
|Rice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), mince|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced (or 2 medium)|
|Carrot||1 , finely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped finely|
|Orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Pinch|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Fresh chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh chopped basil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Score skin of tomato and put it in boiling water for 10 seconds.
2. Take the tomatoes out of boiling water and drop it in ice water to stop cooking. Remove the peel and seed from tomatoes.
3. In strainer, put tomato seeds, scrape and remove the juice from it.
4. Roughly chop the tomatoes, put them into the bowl with the juice and set it aside.
5. Place a large soup pot on flame and heat olive oil in it.
6. Drop onion, carrot, celery, oregano, garlic, and orange zest. Give it a good stir. Cover and let it sweat for 10-15 minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, water, sugar, saffron, and red pepper flakes.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring the heat up to medium and let it simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
9. With blender, blend soup until smooth. Drop rice in the pot. Stir well. Let it simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes or until the rice is soft.
10. Serve tomato rice soup hot with parsley and basil garnish.
Calories 285 Calories from Fat 116
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.7 mg0.9%
Sodium 255.2 mg10.6%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.6%
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 7 g14.4%
Vitamin A 103.9% Vitamin C 84.2%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet