A light and fresh tomato soup with just a hint of orange and saffron. Bring Mediterranean sunshine into your home any time of the year with this delightfully easy and delicious soup!
1 Tablespoon, mince
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
4 Clove (20 gm), mince
1 Large, thinly sliced (or 2 medium)
1 , finely chopped
1 , chopped finely
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Chicken stock/Vegetable stock
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
3 Cup (48 tbs)
Fresh chopped parsley
Fresh chopped basil
1. Score skin of tomato and put it in boiling water for 10 seconds.
2. Take the tomatoes out of boiling water and drop it in ice water to stop cooking. Remove the peel and seed from tomatoes.
3. In strainer, put tomato seeds, scrape and remove the juice from it.
4. Roughly chop the tomatoes, put them into the bowl with the juice and set it aside.
5. Place a large soup pot on flame and heat olive oil in it.
6. Drop onion, carrot, celery, oregano, garlic, and orange zest. Give it a good stir. Cover and let it sweat for 10-15 minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, water, sugar, saffron, and red pepper flakes.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring the heat up to medium and let it simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
9. With blender, blend soup until smooth. Drop rice in the pot. Stir well. Let it simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes or until the rice is soft.
10. Serve tomato rice soup hot with parsley and basil garnish.