Betty's Bacon and Cheddar Topped Broccoli Soup
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Fresh broccoli||2 Pound|
|Russet potato||1 Medium, peeled, coarsely chopped|
|Chicken broth||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Bacon||6 Ounce (6 slices)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely shredded|
|Bread||1⁄4 Pound, toast|
1. Break off florets from broccoli. Peel and cut broccoli stalk. Set them aside in separate bowls.
2. Cook bacon until crisp. Crumble them, and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl take broccoli florets. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and toss it well.
4. Season it with salt and pepper. Spread it evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
6. Place baking sheet in oven and roast broccoli florets for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Set it aside.
7. Place a large, deep saucepan over medium flame, and heat a tablespoon of olive oil in it.
8. Drop red onion, stir occasionally and cook until softened.
9. Add broccoli stalk, potato, and chicken broth. Mix well. Bring it to a boil.
10. Reduce the heat, stir occasionally, and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until broccoli, and potatoes are tender.
11. Taste and season it with salt and pepper.
12. Into a large blender, transfer the mixture. Blend until smooth.
13. Add ½ of the roasted broccoli florets in blender and pulse a few times to separate, leaving it partially intact.
14. Into a soup bowl, ladle soup, and top it with few reserved roasted broccoli florets.
15. Sprinkle some crisp bacon, and cheese on top.
16. Serve soup hot.
Calories 484 Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.1%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.6 mg16.5%
Sodium 1513.3 mg63.1%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.3%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 23 g46.8%
Vitamin A 36% Vitamin C 345.1%
Calcium 39.9% Iron 16%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet