1. In the soup pot, heat oil and drop onion in it. Sprinkle salt, and saute for 5 minutes or until caramelized over medium flame.
2. Add broccoli, and vegetable broth in pot to cover everything. Pour some water if required.
3. Throw garlic, reserving little to cook with potatoes.
4. Drop salt, pepper, and bay leaf in pot. Cover with the lid, and cook on medium low heat for 45 minutes.
5. In a separate saucepan, cook potatoes in water for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining garlic into the pan.
6. Remove and discard bay leaf from the pot. With a hand blender blend broccoli broth until smooth and creamy.
7. Throw cooked potatoes, and low fat milk. Stir, and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Serve potato soup hot with French bread.