Wegmans Root Vegetable Soup with Pancetta & Truffle Oil
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (Wegmans)|
|Pancetta||4 Ounce, dice (Italian Classics)|
|Onion||8 Ounce, chopped finely (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned, Cut)|
|Leeks||4 Ounce, thinly sliced (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned, Cut)|
|Celery||4 Ounce, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned Cut Peeled)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Rutabaga||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 large, Food You Feel Good About Cleaned Cut)|
|Turnip||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, diced (1 medium)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, diced (2 large, Food You Feel Good About Organic)|
|Parsnips||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, diced (1 large)|
|Chicken stock||2 Carton (2 l) (Food You Feel Good About Chicken Culinary Stock)|
|Truffle oil||1 Teaspoon (Food You Feel Good About Extra Virgin Black Truffle Oil)|
1. Heat olive oil in large stockpot on medium low and add pancetta. Cook 10 minutes, until crispy. Remove pancetta with slotted spoon and set aside for garnish.
2. Add onions, leeks, celery, garlic, and bay leaves to pot with pancetta rendering; season with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat, stirring, 10 minutes, until softened but not browned.
3. Add rutabaga, turnips, carrots, parsnips and chicken stock to stockpot. Bring to a simmer on high. Reduce heat to low; cover with vented lid. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes, until veggies are knife-tender.
4. Turn off heat and remove and discard bay leaves.
5. Working in batches, add soup to blender. Puree until smooth, pouring pureed soup into another clean pot. Taste and adjust seasonings.
6. Reheat if necessary.
7. Ladle soup into warmed serving bowls. Garnish each serving with 1 tsp fried pancetta bits and a drizzle of truffle oil. Accompany with crusty garlic bread or with pumpernickel bread and a nice fresh winter salad.
For greater convenience, soup can be pureed in stockpot with stick blender.
You can substitute the pancetta with bacon.
You can omit the truffle oil but it is highly recommended so don't skip it. It is worth the cost.
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 91
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.8%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.5 mg5.8%
Sodium 881.3 mg36.7%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 10 g20.7%
Vitamin A 60% Vitamin C 46.3%
Calcium 8.1% Iron 9.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet