Hearty and fragrant, this fall soup serves up amazing flavor from pumpkin puree, culinary veggie stock, and a surprise of cantaloupe for subtle sweetness. Wegmans Nella Neeck shows you how.
6 Tablespoon (Wegmans)
8 Ounce (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut)
4 Clove (20 gm), finely chopped (Food You Feel Good About Peeled)
Long grain white rice
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), uncooked (Food You Feel Good About Enriched)
2 Carton (2 l) (Food You Feel Good About Vegetable Culinary Stock)
Canned pumpkin puree
29 Ounce (Food You Feel Good About Solid Pack Pumpkin)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
3 Cup (48 tbs), dice
Salt and pepper
Pumpkin seed oil
For toasted pumpkin seeds
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. To toast the pumpkin seeds, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toss pumpkin seeds, curry salt, and olive oil together in a bowl. Spread in an even single layer on sheet pan. 3. Roast 7-9 min, until toasted; watch carefully so as not to burn. Remove from pan; let cool. Store seeds in airtight container until required.
4. Melt 2 tablespoon butter in medium stock pot on low heat; add mirepoix. Cook about 15 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
5. Add garlic, curry powder, and cayenne pepper; cook 2 minutes until spices release their flavors.
6. Add rice, stock, and pumpkin puree. Simmer 20-25 min or until rice is fully cooked.
7. Remove pan from heat and add sugar, remaining butter, mace, cinnamon, and cantaloupe. Stir well
8. Add soup carefully to blender, working in batches. Puree until silky smooth, pouring pureed soup into another clean pot.
9. Season to taste with salt and reheat if required.
10. Ladle into warmed bowls. Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.
For greater convenience, soup can be pureed in stockpot with stick blender.