Curried Butternut Squash Soup
|Butternut squash||1 Medium, peeled, seeded and diced|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For sauteing the onions)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable broth||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as required) (Optional)|
|Herbs||1 Tablespoon, dried (as required) (Optional)|
1. Trim the ends of the butternut squash and peel it. Cut it lengthwise into 2 halves and remove the strings and the seeds from the inside and then dice it.
2. In a pan heated over a medium heat saute the diced onions in a little bit of olive oil.
3. Once the onions are soft add the curry powder and the cayenne pepper. Saute till the flavors are released. Add a pinch of salt.
4. Toss in the diced butternut squash, stir well, cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes until the butternut squash pieces are fork tender. Once done, turn off the heat.
5. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the prepared butternut squash mixture into a smooth and creamy consistency.
6. Serve the prepared soup into a serving bowl garnished with a dollop of sour cream in the center or sprinkled with dried herbs such as thyme or any herb of your choice.
The chicken broth used can be substituted with vegetable broth to make the recipe 100% vegetarian.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1184 Calories from Fat 388
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.9%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.9 mg10%
Sodium 1886.6 mg78.6%
Total Carbohydrates 204 g68.1%
Dietary Fiber 36 g144.2%
Sugars 44.3 g
Protein 22 g44%
Vitamin A 3407.4% Vitamin C 575.3%
Calcium 88.1% Iron 74.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet