Cream of broccoli and cheese is a classic, well-loved dish! This recipe renders an outstanding version! Although this is not a soup you would eat every day it is absolutely delicious for those cold winter days when you need some comfort and extra calories. This soup is thickened with a roux and finished with cream. If you want to shave off some calories go ahead and use milk instead. This can be made fairly quickly and is a great way to have the kids eat their broccoli.
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
1. In a heavy pan melt butter. Add the onion. Season with salt and nutmeg and cook until softened for 4 minutes.
2. Put the flour and mix well. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Slowly whisk in the stock. Whisk the roux constantly until all lumps have disappeared.
4. Bring to a soft simmer and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
5. Add the broccoli and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is cooked through.
6. Blend the soup and return it to the pot.
7. Put the cream and the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Taste for salt and adjust.
8. In a serving bowl, serve this soup hot with crispy bread.
If you have an immersion blender do it now. If you don’t, wait for it to cool a bit and blend in batches.