Chicken & Rice Soup
|Chicken legs||6 Large (with skin, FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Celery||3 Medium (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Parsley||3 Medium (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), smashed (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, cut into 4 (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Bell pepper||1⁄4 Medium, cut into half (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium (FOR CHICKEN STOCK)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (FOR SOUP)|
|White rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (FOR SOUP)|
|Assorted frozen vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed (peas, corn, baby carrot, FOR SOUP)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Dried oregano/Any herb||1 Tablespoon (FOR SOUP)|
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
2. Tie the celery and parsley into a bouquet using kitchen twine.
3. FOR THE STOCK: In a large pot, fill ¾th with water.
4. Put the chicken legs, herbs bouquet, garlic cloves, onion, bell pepper, bay leaves.
5. Bring it to boil and turn the heat to low.
6. Simmer for 90 minutes. Once in while skim off the fat or foam using a strainer.
7. Remove the herbs, vegetables and the chicken and retain the stock.
8. Take the chicken, remove the skin and shred the meat.
9. In a skillet, heat olive oil and put the rice.
10. Sauté the rice till it turns browns.
11. Take the pot with the chicken stock.
12. Add the shredded chicken, browned rice, vegetables.
13. Pour the tomato paste, stir it to incorporate.
14. Season with salt, pepper and oregano (any herb). Stir to mix.
15. Cook for 20 minutes or till the rice and vegetables are cooked and turn off the heat.
16. In a serving bowl, serve this soup with crusty bread.