Beet and Chicken Borscht
|Chicken breast||1 Medium|
|Hungarian paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (fresh or canned)|
|Chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained, rinsed|
|Chicken stock||5 Cup (80 tbs) (low or no sodium)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|White wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Lowfat sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Remove stems and leaves from beets. Separate the stems from the leaves, dice the stems small.
2. Peel the beets and dice into small bite sized pieces. Chiffonade the leaves.
3. Saute the chicken, onions, beets, and stems in extra virgin olive oil over medium high just until chicken begins to cook.
4. Add the spices, garlic, tomatoes, and chick peas. Saute a few minutes until garlic is soft.
5. Pour in the chicken stock and cover and keep at a simmering boil for about 25 minutes until the beets are soft. 6. During the last five minutes of cooking add the beet greens and white vinegar.
7. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream, stir well, and serve warm or cold.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2235 Calories from Fat 698
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g120.1%
Saturated Fat 27 g134.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 183.8 mg61.3%
Sodium 2430.5 mg101.3%
Total Carbohydrates 266 g88.6%
Dietary Fiber 57 g228.2%
Sugars 89.6 g
Protein 126 g252.6%
Vitamin A 61.5% Vitamin C 140.8%
Calcium 82.8% Iron 145%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet