A fresh and beautifully flavoured soup that is truly summer in a bowl!
1 Tablespoon, minced
Cracked black pepper
1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (fresh or canned)
1 Cup (16 tbs), drained, rinsed
5 Cup (80 tbs) (low or no sodium)
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
Lowfat sour cream
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Remove stems and leaves from beets. Separate the stems from the leaves, dice the stems small.
2. Peel the beets and dice into small bite sized pieces. Chiffonade the leaves.
3. Saute the chicken, onions, beets, and stems in extra virgin olive oil over medium high just until chicken begins to cook.
4. Add the spices, garlic, tomatoes, and chick peas. Saute a few minutes until garlic is soft.
5. Pour in the chicken stock and cover and keep at a simmering boil for about 25 minutes until the beets are soft. 6. During the last five minutes of cooking add the beet greens and white vinegar.
7. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream, stir well, and serve warm or cold.
I had lunch in a lovely cafe a few weeks ago and ordered their beet soup - a summertime favourite of mine. But the flavour left me disappointed. I set out to creating a beet soup that would have all of the flavours I was looking for and this is what I came up with - a savoury blend of beets, beet tops, stems, chicken, and spices my whole family enjoyed! I didn't even have to tell them it was healthy ;)
Beet and Chicken Health Soup
Beet And Chicken Borscht Recipe Video, Beet And Chicken Health Soup