Mashed Potato Soup
|Yukon gold potato||2 Large|
|Cremini mushrooms||1 Pound|
|Yellow squash||1 Large|
|Curly kale||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery stalks||2 Large|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaf||4 Small|
|Dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable soup base||3 Tablespoon (vegetarian)|
|Non-hydrogenated margarine/Vegan butter||1 Tablespoon (or dairy butter for non-vegans)|
|Rice milk/Almond milk||2 Tablespoon (or dairy milk for non-vegans)|
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
1. Wash the vegetables thoroughly.
2. Peel and dice potatoes.
3. Peel and dice the rutabaga, parsnip, and carrots.
4. Dice 2 stalks of celery.
5. Rinse 1 cup frozen peas in a colander to remove the ice.
6. Dice yellow squash, onion, and mushrooms.
7. Remove thick stems, and tear kale leaves into bite sized pieces.
8. Bring water to boil under a vegetable steamer.
9. Add diced potatoes to the steamer and steam until soft.
10. Drain potatoes into a bowl and save the water for the soup.
11. When potatoes are slightly cooler, mash potatoes, add a pat of butter/margarine, 2 tbs of milk/rice milk plus salt and pepper to taste. Set mashed potatoes aside.
12. For the soup add 8 cups of water to the water saved from the mashed potatoes into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.
13. Put diced rutabaga, parsnip, carrot and celery in the soup and simmer for 10-12 minutes over medium/high heat.
14. Check soup after 10 minutes. The veggies should be starting to soften. Add the bay leaves, soup base, marjoram, peas, and yellow squash.
15. Stir well and lower heat to medium. Soup should continue simmering at a low boil.
16. In the meantime, sauté veggies. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place the onion, mushrooms, and kale into frying pan and sauté for approximately 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
17. Add frying pan contents to the soup. Add the mashed potatoes too. Stir well.
18. Taste and adjust seasoning taste. If necessary, add water to thin soup to the desired consistency.
19. Let soup mix simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Soup is ready when a knife will pass easily through the rutabaga and parsnips.
20. Ladle the soup into large soup plates, ensuring each helping has an equal quantity of vegetables.
21. Serve the soup with garlic bread (recipe given below)
To make a Vegan Garlic Spread:
Cover garlic bulb (with at least 6 cloves) in aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350° for 30 minutes.
Remove garlic and let cool slightly.
Peel and squeeze garlic out of the skin. Mash into a creamy texture.
Mix 6 cloves of roasted garlic with 4 oz of Vegenaise/Vegan butter/non-hydrogenated margarine.
Mix in dried parsley and paprika to taste.
Add the garlic spread to thick slices of multigrain bread or baguette.