Classic Tom Kaa Gai
Lemon grass - 3
Garlic - 4 large cloves
Kaffir lime leaves - 3
Galangal slices - 5-6
Thai red chillies - 5 (Pik ki nu)
Shallots - 3-4 (1/3 cup when chopped)
Spring onions - 2-3 (scallions)
Coriander - 4 sprigs (including 2 roots if you can)
Tomatoes - 3
Fish sauce - 2 tablespoons
Tamarind puree - 2 tablespoons
How To Make Tamarind Puree Video
Chicken stock powder - 1 tablespoon (or 1 cube)
Palm Sugar - 1 tablespoon (or demarara if nothing else)
Salt - 1 tablespoon
Coconut Milk -750 ml
Water - 2 cups
1. Chop the chicken into large bite size pieces, leaving the bones and skin improves the flavor
2. Cut lemon grass at an angle into juliennes.
3. Peel garlic cloves and cut each in half.
4. Tear kaffir lime leaves from stems and central vein.
5. Slice galangal, penny thickness or less. If it's a tender young galangal you can leave the skin on.
6. Cut Thai chilies at an angle lengthwise, the more you cut, the spicier the soup will become.
7. Peel shallots and cut into same size pieces as the garlic.
8. Chop spring onions into small logs about 1" long.
9. Tear the coriander and if you have roots cut in half lengthways, you can happily eat them but mostly they add to the stock flavor, if no roots add all the stems at least.
10. Cut tomatoes into quarters and half again.
11. Bring water to boil over high heat in a medium pan, before adding 2/3rds of your coconut milk, bring back to boil.
12. Add the lemon grass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves.
13. Bring to the boil for about 2 minutes, and then add everything else except coriander, spring onions and Tamarind puree.
14. Wait until it boils again before stirring and boil for 5 minutes, allow lid to vent or it could well froth over the top.
15. After 5 minutes, simmer (no lid) until the chicken is cooked through, 5 - 10 minutes or so.
16. Now is the time to taste test and adjust flavor to your liking with fish sauce or sugar etc.
17. When happy with the taste, add tamarind puree, coriander and spring onions, mix in thoroughly & remove from heat. That's it folks! Done!
18. Serve into a large bowl.
19. Enjoy with jasmine rice.