Roasted Tomato Soup
|Tomatoes on the vine||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 Large|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic cloves||5 , smashed|
|Fresh basil||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 , chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Creme fraiche||4 Tablespoon|
|French bread loaf||1⁄2 , cut in cubes (1 day old)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut large tomatoes in to quarters and the small tomatoes in half.
3. Using a sharp bread knife, cut the bread in cubes or tear it in bite size pieces, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, put together tomatoes, red pepper flakes, whole basil leaves, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
5. Toss all the ingredients together and transfer on a foil lined roasting pan or baking sheet.
6. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. In a pot over medium high heat, heat olive oil and add in onion, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, stir and allow to caramelize.
8. In a bowl, put together bread cubes, salt, pepper and olive oil and toss to mix.
9. On a foil lined baking sheet, put the croutons and bake in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until light brown in color.
10. Once the tomatoes and croutons are ready take them out of the oven. Add the tomatoes to the onion mixture stir to combine.
11. In a blender, put the tomato onion mixture in small batches and blend until smooth.
12. Check for the seasoning and add more if needed.
13. In the soup bowl, put the croutons in the bottom and ladle soup on top
14. Serve hot with a dollop of creme fraiche.