Tasty Vichyssoise Soup with Bay Scallops
|Olive oil||3 Teaspoon, divided|
|Leeks||4 Large, cut in quarters lengthwise and thinly sliced|
|Yukon gold potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cubed (2 Medium)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2) Sweat leeks with a pinch of salt until soft, about 5 minutes.
3) Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper.
4) Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
5) Puree soup with a handheld mixer or blender.
6) Add cream and season to taste with salt and pepper if desired. Keep warm.
7) Season scallops lightly on both sides with salt.
8) Heat a stainless steel pan over medium high heat.
9)Add remaining teaspoon olive oil and when hot, add scallops.
10) Sear scallops 30 seconds until brown, sear on second side, another 30 seconds. Remove scallops from pan and keep warm.
11) Return pan to high heat and add vinegar.
12) Cook until syrupy and reduced by half.
13) Divide soup among bowls. Place 5 scallops in each bowl and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve hot.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 174; total fat: 6g; cholesterol: 21mg; sodium (not including additional seasoning): 69g; carbohydrate: 24g; total dietary fiber: 3g; protein: 8g
Calories 224 Calories from Fat 61
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.7%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.6 mg9.9%
Sodium 175.7 mg7.3%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 11 g22.1%
Vitamin A 43.6% Vitamin C 24.1%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 19.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet