Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Mama's Cold Medicine)
|Whole chicken||3 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For the broth|
|White onion||1⁄2 Medium|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|Poultry seasoning||To Taste|
|For the soup|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium, chopped|
|White onion||1⁄4 Large, diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Egg noodles||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Parsley sprigs||4 , chopped finely|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Place the chicken pieces on the baking sheet and brush it with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper generously.
4. Bake for around 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
5. Remove the meat from the bones and transfer it to a plate. Retain the bones for the broth.
6. BROTH: In a large pot put the chicken bones, celery, carrot, onion, parsley and garlic.
7. Pour water to cover the ingredients fully.
8. On medium heat bring it to a boil, cover and simmer for around 1 ½ hours.
9. Using a slotted spoon remove the ingredients from the broth and strain the broth with a fine strainer.
10. Season with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning to taste, mix and set aside.
11. In a thick bottomed pot, heat olive oil. Put carrots, onion and celery till the onions are translucent.
12. Put the garlic and sauté till fragrant.
13. Pour the broth into this and bring it to a boil.
14. Add the egg noodles and parsley and continue to cook for around 8 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
15. Remove from the heat and add the shredded chicken. Stir to mix.
16. In a serving bowl, serve the chicken soup hot.
Calories 870 Calories from Fat 383
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.8%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g57.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 232.8 mg77.6%
Sodium 357 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.5%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 54 g108.8%
Vitamin A 184.7% Vitamin C 25%
Calcium 11% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet