Post Holiday Split Pea Soup With Leftover Ham
|Onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Celery stalks||2 , diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Potatoes||2 Large, peeled and diced|
|Split peas||1 Pound (Rinsed Then Sorted And Drained)|
|Chicken broth/Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Ham||1 Pound, diced|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. In the bottom of the crock pot, stir all of the diced vegetables together with 1 tablespoon of olive oil so that the veggies are all lightly coated.
2. Add the split peas and chicken broth or stock to the pot along with the bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Stir then add the ham directly into the center of the pot.
4. Cover and cook on high for 6 to 7 hours. Alternately you could cook it on low for 10 to 11 hours.
5. When the soup is finished it won’t look properly thickened yet until it’s been stirred. Remove the bay leaves.
6. Ladle into deep dish plates or large soup bowls.
7. Serve with crusty bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2942 Calories from Fat 340
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g59.1%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 313 mg104.3%
Sodium 5736.6 mg239%
Total Carbohydrates 425 g141.7%
Dietary Fiber 136.9 g547.4%
Sugars 62.6 g
Protein 236 g471.5%
Vitamin A 431.2% Vitamin C 250.1%
Calcium 54.6% Iron 166.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet