Colorful Company Soup
|Tomatoes/Canned plum tomatoes with juice, chopped||4 Pound, peeled and seeded|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and sliced|
|Orange||1 , peel finely shredded|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||3 Teaspoon|
|Oranges||2 , juiced|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Arrange the ingredients.
2) In a small pan, blanch 1/2 of orange peel in boiling water for 30 seconds.
3) Drain and keep aside.
4) The orange peel should be like curly shreds.
5) In a large pot, combine the tomatoes, onions, carrots, 1/2 of the orange peel, and the stock.
6) Tie together the bay leaves and parsley and add, along with 1 teaspoon of the cumin seed.
7) Cover the pot and simmer 1/2 hour.
8) Take out bay leaves and parsley.
9) Strain and puree the solids with a little liquid, in a food processor or blender until smooth.
10) In a clean pan, melt the butter, and stir in the flour.
11) Pour on the liquid, stirring until it boils.
12) You may make the soup ahead to this point, reheating just before you serve.
13) Add 1/2 of the blanched orange peel liquid to the soup, check the seasoning, add sugar, the rest of the cumin if desired, salt, and pepper.
14) Add more juice if required.
15) Add the cream to the soup and garnish with orange shreds and chopped cilantro.
16) Taste again and adjust seasoning, before serving.
May be made ahead several days.
Reheat without boiling.