|White navy beans||1 Pound|
|Dried peas||8 Ounce|
|Meaty ham hock/Knuckle||1|
|Potatoes||6 , cut into 1 inch cubes|
|Carrots||5 , sliced|
|Turnips||4 , cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Leeks||5 , sliced|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Ground thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Cabbage head||1 Small, shredded|
|Sausage links||16 , cooked|
1. Take a bowl and add beans and peas into it and pour enough to cover it. Allow the beans and peas to soak overnight or quickly soak it and drain the water.
2. Take a deep kettle and add peas, beans, and water.
3. Tuck cloves into onion and steep it into beans with bay leaves, ham hock and salt.
4. Cook until the beans turn soft and season it with salt.
5. Drain by reserving some liquid for further cooking. Remove bay leaves and onion.
6. Cover the beans and keep it in a warm oven.
7. Add the reserved bean liquid to a saucepan and cook it with potato, carrots, turnip, leeks, garlic cloves, bay leaf and thyme until the vegetables turn soft. Stir in sausage, cabbage, beans, and lean meat from the ham hock.
8. This thick soup can be served directly from the kettle or it can be served after topping with Swiss cheese. The cheese should be softened under a broiler.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9326 Calories from Fat 4375
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 486 g748.3%
Saturated Fat 150.9 g754.4%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 1200.2 mg400.1%
Sodium 8775 mg365.6%
Total Carbohydrates 823 g274.2%
Dietary Fiber 188 g751.9%
Sugars 122.6 g
Protein 466 g932.6%
Vitamin A 1348% Vitamin C 979.5%
Calcium 199.1% Iron 426.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet