Yellow Split Pea Soup With Ham Hocks
|Quick cooking split peas||1 Pound (2 cups, yellow or green)|
|Salt pork/Bacon||1⁄8 Pound, coarsely chopped to make 1/3 cup|
|Coarsely chopped green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Smoked ham hocks||32 Ounce (4 pieces, 8 ounce size)|
|Dried rosemary leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a 6-quart kettle, combine peas and water and bring to boiling.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
3. In a small skillet, saute salt pork several minutes.
4. Add green onion, celery and onion and saute stirring until onion is golden-€”takes about 5 minutes.
5. Wipe ham hocks with damp paper towels and add to kettle along with salt pork and sauteed vegetables, parsley sprigs, bay leaf, rosemary and 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Bring back to boiling and simmer reducing heat covered for 2 hours until ham hocks are tender and meat begins to fall off bones.
7. Remove from heat and lift out ham hocks with slotted utensil, to cool.
8. Remove meat from the bones and discard the skin, fat and bones.
9. If any skim fat from soup, put soup with vegetables through coarse sieve, pureeing vegetables and pour back into kettle.
10. Add meat from ham hocks and reheat slowly, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
11. Add salt to taste and heat the soup 5 minutes longer.