Chilled Cucumber and Apple Soup
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple||1 (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious variety)|
|Plain yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh mint||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Yogurt||2 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|Mint leaves||4 (for garnish)|
1) In a heavy pan, heat the onion and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
2) Boil the contents for about 5 minutes.
3) Seed the cucumbers and halve them. Peel the apples and core them.
4) In a blender or food processor, put the apples and cucumbers and blend or process till smooth, adding the stock.
5) Let the mixture cool down and then blend or process in the yogurt.
6) Chill the soup till it is time to serve.
7) Chop the mint and parsley and add to the mixture to taste.
8) In case the soup has separated, whisk it briefly.
9) Taste and adjust seasoning, if required, adding salt and pepper to taste.
10) Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with yogurt and mint leaves. Serve right away. Makes a good appetizer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 600 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.5%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.2 mg18.4%
Sodium 940 mg39.2%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.6%
Sugars 57.5 g
Protein 28 g55.7%
Vitamin A 68.9% Vitamin C 117.6%
Calcium 70.8% Iron 32.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet