Lentil Or Split Pea Soup
|Lentils/Split peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Beef stock / water||2 Quart|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fried croutons||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), fried crisply (For Topping, As Required)|
|Sour cream||1 Tablespoon (For Topping, As Required)|
1. Take a bowl, add lentils and pour lots of water over it and soak it overnight. Or quickly soak the lentils and drain the water.
2. Tuck cloves halfway into the onion.
3. Take a large pot and add lentils with next onion, chicken or beef stock, bay leaf, and garlic cloves.
4. Boil the mixture and spoon off the foam and cook over low heat until the lentils are well cooked.
5. Take out garlic, bay leaf and onion.
6. Season the soup as per the taste preferences by adding salt and pepper.
7. Puree the soup before serving if required.
8. Serve lentil or split pea soup hot or cold, after topping with a dollop of sour cream or croutons.