Lenten Convent Soup
|Garbanzos/Lima beans||8 Ounce|
|Baking soda||1 Pinch|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Hard cooked egg yolks||3|
1. Take a bowlful of water and add garbanzos into it and soak overnight. Or soak them on a short period and drain.
2. Take a saucepan, add soaked garbanzos and pour 2 quarts water over it and boil for an hour.
3. Stir in soda and boil until the skin softens, drain and reserve the cooking liquids.
4. Spoon out the skins and pour enough water over garbanzos to cover it.
5. Stir in bay leaf, onion, cloves and parsley and cover and cook until the onion softens.
6. Take our bay leaf, onion, cloves, and parsley and discard them.
7. Take a saucepan and add olive oil in it and saute the onion until they turn golden brown, take out ½ of the garbanzos from the stock and combine them with oil and onion.
8. Stir in egg yolks and mash them well using back of the spoon and stir in bean liquid in a slow and gradual manner, as needed.
9. Blend the egg mixture into the soup and cook until the garbanzos soften.
10. Serve the Lenten convent soup along with freshly steamed rice.