Hot Cream of Spinach and Scallion Soup
|Fresh spinach||3⁄4 Pound|
|Scallions/Green onions||4 , thinly sliced|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Nutmeg||1 Pinch, ground|
|Whole basil||1 Pinch, dried|
1. Discard spinach steam and wash the leaves in lukewarm water. Drain and keep aside.
2. In a dutch oven saute scallions in butter for 1 minute.
3. Add spinach. Do not add additional water. Cover and let the ingredients cook for 5 minutes over high flames.
4. Transfer the mixture in a container and mix 1 cup broth. Blend in a blender for a smooth mixture. Keep it aside.
5. In a dutch oven melt 3 tablesppons of butter on low heat. Combine flour and stir to get a smooth mixture.
6. Cook for 1 minute. Keep stirring to get a smooth mixture.
7. Add remaining broth and cook on medium heat.
8. Stir to get a thick and bubbly mixture.
9. Combine spinach mixture, nutmeg, pepper and fresh basils. Boil the mixture.
10. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
11. Stir and cook continuously till the ingredients are well heated.
12. Ladle the mixture in bowls.
13. Serve hot cream of spinach soup topped with croutons.
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24.2 mg8.1%
Sodium 224.6 mg9.4%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 4 g8.5%
Vitamin A 168.3% Vitamin C 44.6%
Calcium 10% Iron 17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet