Hot Cream of Spinach and Scallion Soup
|Fresh spinach||3⁄4 Pound|
|Scallions/Green onions||4 , thinly sliced|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Nutmeg||1 Pinch, ground|
|Whole basil||1 Pinch, dried|
1. Discard spinach steam and wash the leaves in lukewarm water. Drain and keep aside.
2. In a dutch oven saute scallions in butter for 1 minute.
3. Add spinach. Do not add additional water. Cover and let the ingredients cook for 5 minutes over high flames.
4. Transfer the mixture in a container and mix 1 cup broth. Blend in a blender for a smooth mixture. Keep it aside.
5. In a dutch oven melt 3 tablesppons of butter on low heat. Combine flour and stir to get a smooth mixture.
6. Cook for 1 minute. Keep stirring to get a smooth mixture.
7. Add remaining broth and cook on medium heat.
8. Stir to get a thick and bubbly mixture.
9. Combine spinach mixture, nutmeg, pepper and fresh basils. Boil the mixture.
10. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
11. Stir and cook continuously till the ingredients are well heated.
12. Ladle the mixture in bowls.
13. Serve hot cream of spinach soup topped with croutons.