Microwave Cooked Northern Bean Soup
|Northern beans||1 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Meaty ham bone/Diced ham - 2 cups||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery stalks||2 (1/4-inch slices)|
|Carrots||2 Large, thinly sliced|
1) Into a 5-quart casserole, add in the Northern Beans, water and salt. Let the casserole rest overnight. You may even rehydrate the soaked beans.
2) Next, add in the ham, onion, salt, pepper, marjoram, basil leaves and bay leaf.
3) Mix, cover and microwave on HIGH for 40 minutes. Stir in between a few times. The beans must become slightly tender and not completely soft.
4) Pull the bone out of the soup. Dice the meat up and transfer back into the casserole.
5) Next, add in the celery and carrots. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Stir in between a few times.
6) The vegetables and beans must be soft enough to your liking.
7) Fish out the bay leaf before serving the soup.
8) Serve the Northern Bean Soup garnished with chopped parsley leaves.
Calories 869 Calories from Fat 240
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.2%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.3%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 140.6 mg46.9%
Sodium 3281.8 mg136.7%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.8%
Dietary Fiber 25.9 g103.6%
Sugars 8.7 g
Protein 77 g153.9%
Vitamin A 125.7% Vitamin C 25.1%
Calcium 26.6% Iron 52.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet