Low-Calorie Cream of Asparagus Soup
|Asparagus||2 Pound (Fresh)|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Reduced calorie margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||To Taste|
1. Wash the asparagus, snap off the tough ends and remove the scales on the vegetable with a knife or a vegetable parer. Wash again.
2. In a large pan of boiling water, tip in the washed asparagus and cook for 6-8 minutes covered till crisp tender and cooked through. Drain immediately.
3. Cut off 2 inches from tops of asparagus and reserve; set the stalks aside.
4. In a large skillet, spray in the cooking spray and add margarine. Place the pan over medium heat.
5. Add the onion, parsley, and coriander and saute over medium heat till tender. Reduce heat to low and then add flour to the pan to cook for a minute. Ensure that the dish is stirred to prevent lumps and burning.
6. Reduce heat to low and add the chicken broth while strring continuously for five minutes and remove from heat when thickened with no lumps.
7. Add the reserved asparagus stalks and pour this into the electric blender to blend till smooth
8. Pour this back into the saucepan and add milk and the reserved tips. Add lemon juice and pepper and cook again till hot through.
9. Garnish with lemon slices and serve hot
Calories 99 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.6%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.39 mg0.13%
Sodium 266.1 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.9%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 5 g9.7%
Vitamin A 28.9% Vitamin C 22.2%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 20.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet