Curried Sweet Corn Soup With Chicken
|Sweet corn on the cob/10 ounce tinned sweetcorn / creamed sweetcorn||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Boneless chicken breasts||8 Ounce, skinned (225 Grams)|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Pint (1.1 Liter)|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder/Curry paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Cornflour||2 Teaspoon, blended with 2 teaspoons water|
|Spring onions||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (For Garnish)|
1. Wash the corn and remove the corn kernels from the cob with a sharp knife. You should have about 10 oz (275g) of corn. Use canned corn if fresh corn is unavailable.
2. In a large bowl, tip in the shredded chicken along with the egg white, 1 teaspoon cornflour and salt and mix well.
3. In another small bowl, tip in the whole egg and sesame oil and beat well to get a frothy mix.
4. In a large pot of boiling water, pour in the chicken shreds and cook till white in color. This will take about 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon when cooked through. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
5. In a large pot, simmer the stock till it reaches boiling point and add the sweet corn. Simmer for 10 minutes till cooked through. Add the sherry or rice wine, curry powder, salt, sugar to the pan along with the cornflour mixture. Bring this back to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Just before serving, add the blanched chicken shreds, and the egg and sesame oil mixture while stirring continuously. This will form thick white ribbons.
7. Serve immediately garnished with spring onions and soy sauce.