Beef Gumbo Soup
|Cross cut beef shanks||3 Pound, cut 2-inches thick|
|Onion||1 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||6 , peeled and diced|
|Potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled and diced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Canned whole tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Frozen lima beans||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Frozen cut green beans||9 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned whole kernel corn||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Green cabbage head||1⁄4 , sliced finely|
|Canned okra||16 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
1) Over moderate-high heat, place a large skillet and add the butter.
2) Brown the shanks thoroughly in the butter.
3) In a slow cooker, put the shanks along with the water, salt, pepper, onion, bay leaf, carrots, potato, celery and tomatoes.
4) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
5) Before it is time to serve, increase the heat to HIGH and add the green beans, lima beans, corn and cabbage.
6) Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 20 to 30 minutes.
7) Add the okra and heat the preparation thoroughly.
8) Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and serve while still piping hot. Makes a good appetizer.