Beef Gumbo Soup
|Cross cut beef shanks||3 Pound, cut 2-inches thick|
|Onion||1 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||6 , peeled and diced|
|Potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled and diced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Canned whole tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Frozen lima beans||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Frozen cut green beans||9 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned whole kernel corn||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Green cabbage head||1⁄4 , sliced finely|
|Canned okra||16 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
1) Over moderate-high heat, place a large skillet and add the butter.
2) Brown the shanks thoroughly in the butter.
3) In a slow cooker, put the shanks along with the water, salt, pepper, onion, bay leaf, carrots, potato, celery and tomatoes.
4) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
5) Before it is time to serve, increase the heat to HIGH and add the green beans, lima beans, corn and cabbage.
6) Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 20 to 30 minutes.
7) Add the okra and heat the preparation thoroughly.
8) Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and serve while still piping hot. Makes a good appetizer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4152 Calories from Fat 962
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g165.4%
Saturated Fat 40 g200.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1096.9 mg365.6%
Sodium 7699.8 mg320.8%
Total Carbohydrates 271 g90.4%
Dietary Fiber 69.6 g278.2%
Sugars 73.6 g
Protein 515 g1030.5%
Vitamin A 1359.6% Vitamin C 487.8%
Calcium 87.7% Iron 120.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet