Chicken Cream of Cauliflower Soup
|Butter/Bacon fat||2 Ounce (60 Grams)|
|Shallot||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1) Remove and discard the leaves and thick stalks from the cauliflower.
2) Break and separate the cauliflower into flowerlets and reserve about 12 tiny flowerlets for garnish.
3) In a heavy base saucepan, melt the butter or bacon fat.
4) Saute the shallots in the butter or bacon fat until soft but not brown.
5) Stir in the flour until smooth, then cook for about 2 minutes without browning.
6) Pour in the chicken stock and stir constantly until the soup reaches the boiling point.
7) Stir in the cauliflower, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft.
8) Puree the vegetable mixture in a blender or press through a sieve.
9) Return the puree into the saucepan and stir in the milk.
10) In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and cream together.
11) Stir in 1 cup hot soup, then gradually stir this mixture into the saucepan.
12) Blend the mixture thoroughly and then stir in the lemon juice.
13) In a saucepan, cook the reserved tiny flowerlets in boiling salted water and cook until soft.
14) Drain the flowerets, cool under cold running water and keep aside.
15) Stir the tiny flowerlets into the saucepan and heat thoroughly.
16) Taste and adjust the seasonings, also add a dash of nutmeg, if desired.
17) Ladle the Cream of Cauliflower Soup in soup bowls and serve piping hot.
Calories 222 Calories from Fat 87
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.4 mg22.8%
Sodium 331.2 mg13.8%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 8 g15.7%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 83.6%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet