Erik's Okra Soup
|Regular strength chicken broth/Water - 6 cups plus chicken bouillon cubes - 4||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Ham||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced and cooked (Bone Optional)|
|Chicken||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced and cooked|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried hot chili pepper||1 Small|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced and diced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced and diced|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Frozen okra||10 Ounce, partially thawed (1 Package)|
|Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned shrimp||4 1⁄2 Ounce, rinsed and drained (1 Can)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), steamed|
|Gumbo file powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Liquid hot pepper seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
1) Take the okras and cut them into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
2) Take the broth, ham, chicken, thyme, bay leaf, chili pepper, onion, celery and tomato in a pan.
3) Boil them on low heat for 10 minutes.
4) Take the okras pieces and saute in salad oil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5) Add little flour to the okra and simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Take away from the heat and keep aside.
7) Add shrimp to the okras and cook till the okras are tender.
8) Take the soup bowl and fill them with steamed rice.
9) Pour gumbo over the rice and sprinkle gumbo file powder.
10) Add liquid hot pepper. if desired.
11) Remove the chili and bay leaf before serving the dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1956 Calories from Fat 559
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.8%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.5%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 143.5 mg47.8%
Sodium 3907.3 mg162.8%
Total Carbohydrates 241 g80.3%
Dietary Fiber 23.6 g94.6%
Sugars 25.5 g
Protein 105 g210.5%
Vitamin A 69% Vitamin C 150.5%
Calcium 42.5% Iron 46.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet