Curried Apple and Lima Bean Soup
|Dried lima beans||8 Ounce, soaked|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped (3 Medium Sized)|
|Tart apple||1 Medium, peeled, cored and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped (Large Clove)|
|Fresh ginger root||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped, peeled|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon, grounded|
|Canned chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Potato||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Cider vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Green onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
1) Take the lima beans and drain them.
2) Place the lima beans into a large saucepan.
3) Add water to the saucepan and boil them over medium heat. Cover the saucepan and simmer for around 45 minutes.
4) Take a skillet and pour oil.
5) Saute the onion, garlic, apple and ginger over the medium heat for 5 minutes.
6) Add curry powder, salt, cumin and pepper. Saute them for another 1 minute.
7) Add onion mixture along with broth and potato to the lima beans. Cover the mixture and simmer for another 30 minutes.
8) With the help of a spoon, transfer the solids (in batches) into the container of a food processor. Add cooking liquid if required.
9) Blend them properly to make a puree.
10) Put the puree back to the saucepan along with the remaining cooking liquid.
11) Add vinegar, green onion and heat them for few minutes.
12) Serve the dish immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1082 Calories from Fat 328
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.5%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2125.4 mg88.6%
Total Carbohydrates 163 g54.5%
Dietary Fiber 30.4 g121.7%
Sugars 32.4 g
Protein 35 g70.3%
Vitamin A 31.9% Vitamin C 592.5%
Calcium 38.5% Iron 92.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet