Peppery Bean Soup
|Dried black beans||1 Pound, soaked|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), smashed but left whole (Large Cloves)|
|Onion||3 Large, chopped to make 3 cups|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), finely chopped (Large Cloves)|
|Sweet green pepper||1 , halved, cored, seeded and chopped|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Take the black beans and drain them.
2) Keep the black beans in a large pan. Add water along with onion and garlic. Boil the mixture on medium heat.
3) Cover the pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
4) Take a skillet and saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in oil for 10 minutes.
5) Add the green pepper mixture into the black beans. Add salt, pepper and oregano.
6) Cover the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
7) Slightly burn the red peppers from all the sides over the gas flame.
8) In order to loosen the skin, keep the red peppers in a paper bag for 5 minutes.
9) Now easily peel the red peppers.
10) Chop half of the red peppers and keep aside the remaining red peppers for garnishing.
11) Put the chopped red peppers to the black beans along with 3 tablespoons of vinegar. Add water if required.
12) Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
13) Garnish the soup with reserved red peppers.
14) Serve the dish with sour cream or yogurt