|Dried great northern beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Bacon slab||1⁄3 Pound|
|Carrots||4 Medium, sliced|
|Potatoes||2 , cubed|
|Tart apples||2 , peeled, cored, and quartered|
|Pears||2 , peeled, cored, and quartered|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into 1-inch pieces|
1) In a slow cooker, soak beans in water overnight.
2) Do not drain the water.
3) Put the bacon in the slow cooker.
4) Put the lid on and cook over high heat for 2 to 3 hours, until tender.
5) Stir in the carrots, potatoes, fruits, and seasoning in the bean mixture.
6) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 hours, until tender.
7) Mix in the green beans, during last 10 minutes of cooking.
8) Take the bacon out of the bean mixture and slice thinly.
9) Serve the soup hot with bacon placed on the rim of the soup bowls.