Red Hot Roasted Pepper Soup
|Red bell pepper||3 Large|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, peeled and cut into quarters|
|Fennel bulb||1⁄2 Medium, quartered|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||6 Cup (96 tbs) (low sodium)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. First thing to do here is roast the bell pepper. Wash and dry the bell pepper. If you have a gas stove, grab the pepper with some tongs and place it directly on an open flame. Turn the tongs frequently until the pepper is charred on all sides.
2. Place it in a bowl and cover it tightly with some plastic wrap. The peppers will sweat as they cool down. Let them cool for about 15 minutes. Remove the stems and seeds and peel the. Cut the peppers into strips and drizzle with olive oil. Do not discard the rendered juice.
3. If you do not have a gas stove, turn on the broiler in your oven. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and lightly brush them with some olive oil. Place the pan directly under the broiler. Be very vigilant and turn them as they char. Be careful not to burn them. Remove them from the oven and place them in bowl. Follow the same instructions as above.
4. Heat a large pot with some olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and fennel bulb. Cook until vegetables are softened and slightly browned – about 15 minutes. Add the stock and roasted peppers – with their rendered juice – and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Cool down the soup and blend in batches with the fresh basil leaves. If you have an immersion handheld blender – use it. Make sure all the vegetables are blended well so you have a smooth puree.
6. Return the blended soup to the pot. Add salt and pepper. Heat through and serve. Drizzle some olive oil in each dish.
7. Serve with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.9%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g8.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.8 mg3.6%
Sodium 1031.7 mg43%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 11 g22.8%
Vitamin A 113% Vitamin C 218.5%
Calcium 6% Iron 11%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet