Vegetable Barley Soup
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, undrained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Thinly sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beef flavored bouillon granules||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried whole oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried whole basil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Thinly sliced leek||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced turnip||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), peeled|
1) Spray the Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat it over medium heat.
2) SautÃ© the onion, celery, parsley and garlic until they becomes tender.
3) Pour some water along with next ten ingredients. Mix them well and boil them.
4) Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
5) Add cabbage, leeks and turnip. Simmer them for 15 minutes on low heat.
6) Before serving the soup, remove the bay leaf.
7) Serve the soup in with crusty bread pieces.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 706 Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.9%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.6 mg0.2%
Sodium 3883.5 mg161.8%
Total Carbohydrates 149 g49.8%
Dietary Fiber 36.9 g147.5%
Sugars 45.4 g
Protein 25 g50.5%
Vitamin A 744.5% Vitamin C 343.2%
Calcium 46.8% Iron 71.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet