Split Pea And Ham Soup
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Celery stalks||1 Large|
|Dried split peas||4 Ounce, soaked in cold water overnight|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (for finish)|
1) Pour off the water from split peas and refresh under cold running water.
2) In a saucepan, melt butter and saute onions, carrot and celery, for 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the peas, ham or bacon, stock, and seasoning to taste.
4) Allow the peas mixture to boil, cover and simmer for ½ hour.
5) Take the pan off the heat and remove the ham or bacon and cut into small cubes.
6) In an electric blender, place the onion mixture and process to a smooth puree.
7) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Place the ham or bacon pieces in a plastic container and top with cooled soup.
8) Seal, label, and freeze the container.
9) Place the ham or bacon in soup bowl and top with soup, serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
10) If using frozen soup, in a saucepan, place the frozen soup and reheat gently on top of stove, stirring occasionally.
11) Serve as mentioned in step 9.