Cream of Broccoli Soup
|Chicken stock||1 Pint|
|Frozen broccoli||9 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Grated onion||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint (for finish)|
|Fried croutons||20 (for finish)|
1) In a saucepan, bring stock to the boil and add the broccoli.
2) Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
3) Remove the pan from heat and using a hand blender, blend the broccoli mixture to a smooth puree.
4) In a non-stick pan melt the butter and sautÃ© onion until soft.
5) Blend the flour in and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6) Take the pan away from heat and slowly pour in the milk.
7) Place the pan over the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
8) Cook over low heat until thick, stir in the pureed broccoli and season to taste.
9) Allow simmering for 3 to 4 minutes.
10) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Pour the cooled soup mixture in a plastic container.
11) Seal, label, and freeze the container.
12) Stir in the cream and serve hot topped with few crotons.
13) If using frozen soup, in a saucepan, place the frozen soup and reheat gently on top of stove, stirring occasionally.
14) Serve as mentioned in step 12.
Calories 1152 Calories from Fat 656
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.6%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 50.6 mg16.9%
Sodium 348.4 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 105 g35.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 25 g49.1%
Vitamin A 47.5% Vitamin C 98.8%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet