|Onion||1 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Chicken stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Spinach||1 1⁄2 Pound, stalks removed|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint (for finish)|
|Hard boiled egg||1 , sieved (for finish)|
1) In a saucepan, melt buttes and sautÃ© onions for 5 minutes.
2) Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3) Stir the stock in onion mixture.
4) Put in spinach, nutmeg and seasoning to taste, increase the heat to boil.
5) Put the lid and simmer for 25 minutes.
6) Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
7) In an electric blender, place the onion mixture and process to smooth paste.
8) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Pour the cooled soup in a plastic container.
9) Seal, label, and freeze the container.
10) Return to heat and blend in the cream and heat thoroughly without boiling.
11) Serve hot, garnished with egg.
12) If using frozen soup, in a saucepan, place the soup and reheat gently on top of stove, add cream, stirring occasionally.
13) Serve as mentioned in step 11.
Calories 225 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.7%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90.5 mg30.2%
Sodium 393.4 mg16.4%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.2%
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 11 g22.1%
Vitamin A 326.4% Vitamin C 90.1%
Calcium 22.8% Iron 30%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet