Chilled Asparagus Soup
|Canned asparagus spears||1 Pound, drained (1 can)|
|Chicken stock||2 Pint|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint (for finish)|
|Snipped chives||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for finish)|
1) In an electric blender, place the asparagus and 1/2 of stock.
2) Process the mixture to smooth puree.
3) In a saucepan, place the puree and remaining stock, lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
4) Put the lid on and heat to boil, continue to boil for 1 minute.
5) Strain the asparagus mixture.
6) Cool the mixture, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
7) Stir in cream.
8) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Pour the cooled asparagus mixture without cream into a rigid container.
9) Seal, label and freeze the container.
10) Serve chilled garnished with chives.
11) If using the frozen asparagus mixture, thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours, then add the cream, stir thoroughly.
12) Serve as explained in step 10.
Calories 163 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.7%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27 mg9%
Sodium 481.7 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 9 g17.9%
Vitamin A 22.2% Vitamin C 34%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet