Curried Pumpkin Walnut Soup
|Red pumpkin||700 Gram|
|Walnut kernels||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (about 8 whole ones, plus little extra chopped for garnish)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Vegetable stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (1 large vegetable stock cube dissolved in 4 cups/2 pints water)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄2 Tablespoon (Thick)|
|Fresh cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh parsley sprig||2 (for garnish)|
1. Cut pumpkin into two large pieces. Scoop out the seeds, clean and wash it.
2. Roughly chop the walnuts.
3. Peel, wash and finely chop onion.
4. Mince the garlic. You can use a garlic press to do this quickly.
5. Pre-heat oven to 200 degree C (400 degree F)
6. Coat the pumpkin pieces with oil and roast in the pre-heated oven 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can peel and cut the pumpkin into dices and sauté it with the onion as described in point 7.
7. Heat butter in a pan and add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté till limp and transparent.
8. Let the roasted pumpkin cool slightly then peel and chop the flesh.
9. Add pumpkin and walnuts to the onion along half of the stock. Cook for five minutes. Remove from heat, cool and
10. Turn the mixture into a food blender or liquidizer jar and puree until smooth.
11. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir in the remaining stock.
12. Place pan on a medium low heat, stir in curry powder and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
13. Reduce heat to low and blend in the cream. Let the gorgeous orange-red soup simmer briefly.
14. Season the soup with salt, pepper and lemon juice as per your liking.
15. Ladle the soup into warm soup bowls and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
16. Accompany the soup with crusty brown bread, nutty lentil pasties, or turnovers.
The soup can be made a day ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Do not had the cream to the soup if making it in advance.
Reheat the soup and blend in the cream and seasonings before serving
Calories 275 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.6%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.1 mg5.7%
Sodium 583.5 mg24.3%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 4 g8.9%
Vitamin A 264.4% Vitamin C 42.3%
Calcium 10% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet