Fall's Orange Kumara Carrot And Lenil Soup
|Orange kumara||2 Large, peeled and cut into chunks (sweet potato)|
|Carrots||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Olive oil/2 tablespoons butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, halved|
|Red onion||1 Large, roughly chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled|
|Celery stalks/1 celeriac bulb||2 , chopped|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground roasted cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon (more if you like)|
|Paprika/Red chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon (as per your taste)|
|Stock||1 1⁄2 Liter (7 cups, use chicken or vegetable stock)|
|Red lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (optional)|
|Parsley leaves/Coriander leaves||2 (to garnish)|
|Crusty bread||2 (to serve)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F (180 degree C)
2. In a baking pan, toss kumara and carrots in half of the oil, season to taste and bake for about 20 minutes.
3. Add capsicum, tomatoes, onion and garlic and celery along with remaining oil and toss. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are soft. You can roast the vegetables a day prior if you like.
4. Transfer the vegetables to a large soup pot. Add the spices and saute for 1 minutes.
5. Let the lentils join the vegetable then pour in the stock.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
7. Puree the soup in a liquidizer or using a electric stick blender. and check seasoning.
8. Check seasoning and reheat the soup. Blend in the cream just prior to serving. Simmer the soup after adding cream and do not let it boil.
9. Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley and accompanied by naan or crusty garlic bread.
If you don’t wish to roast the vegetables, sauté them for 10 minutes in the oil and cook the soup (vegetables, lentils, spices and stock) on the stove for 30 minutes or slowly in a crock pot for about 6 to 8 hours. Blend and add cream prior to serving.
In a variation of this soup, I use pumpkin instead of lentils and add coconut milk instead of cream. If using pumpkin, roast it along with the other vegetables.